How do you get continued health care coverage when you lose your job?

By ThePayrollFactory

There has been a lot of talk in the news about health care coverage and health care coverage reform. But for those without a job and in need of an insurance plan any type of reform that may come from our government doesn’t address the issue of what to do about insurance right now, today.

If you have recently lost your job, and by recent this has been qualified to mean as of September 2008, you may be entitled to receive health care coverage from your former employer. With the recent passing of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act employers are required to offer and to pay for a portion of former employees’ health care insurance.

But, how do you get this coverage?

Your former employer should have sent you a letter telling you that you qualify for this coverage. If you did not receive a letter then you should contact the human resources department of your former company and have them walk you through the process. If you worked for a smaller company there may not be a human resource department. In which case you will want to get in contact with a supervisor and have them point you to the right person to speak with.

Be aware that continuing coverage for health care insurance does vary from state to state. But if you are currently without health insurance it is important to find out what your options are and to utilize them as best you can.

Leave A Comment

The Payroll Factory®
Payroll processing for small business owners. Focus on what you do best and leave the rest to us.
  • 18 E Lancaster Ave, Malvern, PA 19355
  • 610-644-4569

Follow Us